Learn to work with the SQL Server database engine in practice. Starting virtually from scratch and progressing towards essential working techniques and advanced strategies too. If you already know and work with SQL Server, take your knowledge and abilities to the next level. If you come from a different data engine, master now Microsoft’s.
- Do you need to get solid working knowledge of SQL Server in a short time?
- Do you already work with SQL Server yet sense (or know!) that you are not making the best use of it?
- Are you merely storing and retrieving data in tables, without using triggers, functions or stored procedures?
- Are you worried about the security of your data?
- Do you need to learn to identify bottlenecks and improve the performance of your databases?
- Do you come from Oracle or MySQL and have to work with SQL Server?
If your answer is ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then this online course is what you’re looking for. It is designed for you to be able to quickly master the most important SQL Server programming techniques and achieve an appropriate level for day-to-day work with this data manager. It has a practical approach, including only the essential theory to successfully understand the main concepts.
Go beyond the usual techniques and learn to make better use of the database; create views, stored procedures, triggers and functions; master the use of indexes and transactions; prevent deadlocks; monitor and solve issues in your databases… The course starts with the fundamental basics and goes on to teach useful advanced techniques for everyday work.
What you’ll learn
- You will install and be in your element using the SQL Server environment and its Management Studio.
- You will know the ins and outs of tables and data fields, learning to manage them both visually and through code.
- You will understand the importance of constraints.
- Working with the three types of data views will make your life much easier
- You will learn the SQL language to make all kinds of requests on your data, including CTEs for recursive queries.
- You will create stored procedures and customized functions, using loops, jumps, conditions, variables, dynamic SQL, etc.; as well as managing errors.
- You will master the management and tuning of indexes—the key element for improving the performance of your data-based applications.
- You will analyze execution plans in order to understand how queries work underneath, thus being able to improve them and make them go faster.
- Thanks to triggers, you will be able to improve the maintenance of the integrity of your data, audit changes, force business rules, replicate data and much more.
- You will know the different types of transactions, which will allow you to perform multiple tasks with data atomically (all either being executed or failing in one go). This will prevent a lot of problems in large applications.
- You will analyze possible deadlocks and learn how to avoid them.
- You will keep the security of your databases and their objects under control.
- You will learn to monitor, analyze, solve and prevent issues in your databases.
The course is made for the latest version of the database engine (SQL Server 2012) but practically everything it teaches is applicable to all the modern versions of SQL Server (2005, 2008 and 2008R2).
This thorough online course provides clear explanations of concepts, downloadable examples, related resources for further information and several hours of practical video demos. Throughout the whole course you will have one world-class SQL Server expert available (SQL Server MVP) to answer any questions you may have. At the end of the course, you will be able to download the theory materials for future reference in your work.
Note: Although the main goal of this course is not to prepare certifications, if you work hard you can use this course as a preparation to pass the 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and 70-464: Developing Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases Microsoft Official Exams in your path to become a SQL Server Certified Professional or Systems Engineer.
Who should do this course
It is assumed that the students know the fundamentals of the databases and have a bare minimum working knowledge of any Relational Database System such as MySQL, Oracle, or SQL Server.
- Course access period: 3 months (12 weeks)
- Course length: 57 hours (although this depends greatly on your current skills)
- Dedication time needed: 4-5 hours per week.
- Level: intermediate
- We include a downloadable campusMVP.Net achievement diploma
- One-to-one coaching by expert MVP/MCT trainers to answer questions and doubts throughout the course
- Tablet friendly course
- Cross browser and cross platform course
If you have any questions or doubts, we are eager to help you. Just ask!