This course provides most of the knowledge required for preparing Microsoft’s 70-513 certification exam: “70-513 TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4″.
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is built into the .NET Framework, and is useful for creating interconnected applications. WCF provides us with a unified infrastructure that we can use for programming the interaction between applications, abstracting the protocols that are used for the physical communication.It encompasses several technologies that you previously had to know independently, since each one had its own libraries with its own APIs: Remoting, Web Services, Web Services Enhancements (WSE), message queuing, named pipes… They can all be used with WCF, and in many cases choosing one of these technologies will only require a change in a configuration file.
WCF was introduced with the Framework version 3.0, and almost everything that you shall study in this course is valid for that version. However, our examples will be based on version 4.0 and developed with Visual Studio 2010, even though you can also build most of them with an earlier version. We shall also study a few features that are new in version 4.0, such as service discovery or routing.
WCF is interoperable with earlier technologies, such as ASP.NET Web Services (.asmx). However, it is recommended that new applications be based on WCF rather than .asmx. New distributed technologies from Microsoft build on WCF. For instance, AppFabric, which is used as the tool for communications in the cloud in Windows Azure, uses WCF Bindings.
You will love this!
The course is more than just canned videos for you to watch. All the study and training resources are 100% campusMVP.Net original. Our experts have created new course contents from scratch. It includes theory, practice videos, code examples and continuous MVP/MCT trainer support to help you progress and answer all your doubts.
Upon completing the course, you can download all the theory materials in PDF format (more than 150 pages) so that you can use them for future reference. These resources are printable, include navigation and are indexed for search purposes.
- Course access period: 3 months (12 weeks)
- Course length: 60 hours
- Dedication time needed: 5-7 hours per week although this depends greatly on your current skills
- Level: Intermediate-Advanced
- We include a campusMVP.Net achievement diploma
- One-to-one email support by expert MVP/MCT trainers to answer questions and doubts throughout the course
If you have any questions or doubts, we are eager to help you. Just ask!
Whether you want to prepare the exam or you need to learn new skills for work reasons, when you finish this training you ll become an expert in Windows Communication Foundation. At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of WCF, regardless of the hosting platform and the type of client that consumes the services.
- Understand additional advanced functionality that may be useful under specific circumstances.
- Take the certification exam, bearing in mind that the topics of said exam are open-ended as mentioned in the introductory chapter of the course.
After passing the official exam, you get an MCTS certification (Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist) named “MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Service Communication Applications”. This certification is also required for obtaining any MCPD certification (Microsoft Certified Professional Developer) on the Framework 4.0. Therefore, any developer who wishes to obtain one of these MCPD certifications (such as MCPD Web Developer, Desktop Developer, or Windows Azure Developer) will need to study for exam 70-513.
Student profile requirements
It is assumed that the students know the fundamentals of creating applications in Visual Studio and the .NET platform.
This course offers all the resources you need to study WCF in depth :
- 3 month access to complete the “70-513TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4″ certification exam preparation course. Study 24×7, practice at your own pace and from wherever you want.
- 3 months of expert coaching and trainer support: the MVP/MCT expert that has developed the course content is the same person available throughout the certification exam training course to answer every single question and doubt you might come up with while completing this MCTS exam training.
- Study methodology: we give insight and advice on how to study and how to face the certification exam.
- The right amount of theory needed, just enough and no more :-). This MCTS exam preparation course is designed towards real-world developing skills, with coding examples and exercises. At campusMVP.Net we always balance theory with practice.
- Precise practice videos that go straight to the point to explain the most important features visually.
- Coding examples for you to download and run on your computer.
- Course self-evaluation test.
- The price of this course does not include certification exam fees. You have to go to your closest Microsoft official test center and set an exam date. You can find your closest Microsoft official test center at www.prometric.com.
- Downloadable achievement diploma upon passing the final course exam.
More than 150 pages of course contents are downloadable in PDF upon completing the course. Only you have passed the course exam you can download these course resources for future reference and use. You can download all the theory, developing tips and expert advice.
Alberto has been working for the computer industry for more than 27 years, most of them as a software developer. He has held just about every possible position in software development up to and including being the CSA for a small ISV.
Currently he works as a freelance developer and consultant, as well as providing training as a Microsoft Certified Trainer, mostly on the field of software development under the .NET platform. Learn more about Alberto Población
The contents detailed below include explanations on the theory behind the subject, as well as examples and practical demonstrations that illustrate the points by means of simple blocks of code. You will find explanatory videos as well as suggested practices at the end of each module to reaffirm what has been learned.
The source code for the examples and demos is available for downloading.
MODULE 1.- Introduction
MODULE 2.- Getting started
2.1.- DEMO: First Example: WCF Server
2.2.- DEMO: First Example: WCF Client
MODULE 3.- The ABC of WCF
3.1.- The Contract
3.2.- Hosting the Service
3.3.- DEMO: Hosting a WCF service
3.4.- Programmatically Configuring a Client Application
3.5.- DEMO: Channel Factory
3.6.- Publishing Metadata
3.7.- File-based Configuration
3.10.- Data Contracts
3.11.- Message Contracts
3.12.- Message Exchange Patterns
3.13.- DEMO: Message Exchange Patterns
3.14.- Transferring Large Binary Data
3.15.- DEMO: Streaming of Data
MODULE 4.- Debugging and diagnostics
4.1.- DEMO: Logging & Tracing
4.2.- Service Faults
4.3.- DEMO: Service Faults
4.4.- Runtime Governance
MODULE 5.- Life Cycle of Service Instances
5.1.- DEMO: Instance Context Mode
5.2.- Concurrency Issues at the Server Side
5.3.- Service Quality
MODULE 6.- Security
6.1.- Providing Credentials
MODULE 7.- Transactions
MODULE 8.- WCF Service Discovery
8.1.- DEMO: Discovery
MODULE 9.- RESTful Services
MODULE 10.- Routing
10.1.- DEMO: Routing